Insurance for Bars and Taverns

bar and tavern

General Southwest specializes in insurance for bars and taverns in the Phoenix, Arizona metro area. Whether you run a neighborhood watering hole or a high-end wine bar and restaurant, your business is a big investment. It’s important to protect yourself, your employees and your patrons. Property damage, employee injuries, and third-party lawsuits are just a few things that present a financial risk to your establishment. It’s important to have the right types of insurance and adequate amounts of coverage.

What if…

A grease fire breaks out in your kitchen, and you have to close several weeks for repairs?

A patron who was served several drinks at your establishment has a car crash on the way home, seriously injuring the driver of another car?

Your Point-of-Sale system gets hacked, compromising customer names and payment information?


The advisors at General Southwest understand that these scenarios, and countess others, have the power to cripple or destroy your business. We provide a full menu of insurance products, specially tailored to the needs of bars and taverns.

Your establishment might need any or all of the following insurance coverages:

  • Employee protections: May include unemployment insurance, disability insurance, medical insurance, and workers compensation.
  • General liability insurance: Covers property damage and bodily injury. Separate riders are needed if you offer hazardous entertainment features.
  • Liquor liability: Specific coverage for property damage or injuries that result from patrons who became intoxicated at your bar.
  • Assault and battery liability insurance: Fights are generally excluded by general and liquor liability policies.
  • Product liability: Provides coverage if a customer is sickened by your food or beverages.
  • Garage-keepers liability: Necessary if you provide valet parking.
  • Property coverages: May include protection for your property and its contents; equipment breakdown; food spoilage coverage; and lost income protection that covers required expenses and employee salaries.
  • Cyber insurance: Most general liability policies specifically exclude cyber attacks and the associated costs.
  • Flood insurance: In most cases, damage from flooding is not covered by property insurance.

Your General Southwest advisor will work with you to understand the unique risks your establishment faces, so you can stay focused on your day-to-day operations.


To request a consultation, fill out the box on this page, or follow this link to begin a proposal.