To Keep Prom and Graduation Safe
However, this time of year often sees other, more tragic defining moments – serious car accidents involving teens and young adults who are distracted or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
At General Southwest Insurance Agency, we want to help make this season one to celebrate for you and your teen. So, with the help of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, here are some tips that can keep your teen safe.
First, encourage your teen to follow these general safe-driving rules:
Absolutely no alcohol
Always use seat belts
No cell phone use (including texting) while driving
Many of the biggest high school moments occur around this time of year. It’s a good idea to review your expectations in the days before these events, and to remind your teen of the guidelines before she heads out for the night. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure you know the itinerary of the evening, as well as who else will be with your teen. You should have contact information for everyone.
- Have a way to contact your teen at all times. You may want to require him to check in with you once or twice over the course of the evening.
- Set a curfew, whether she is coming back to your home or staying with a friend. If she is staying elsewhere, make sure the curfew will be enforced by a responsible adult.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink, or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving. It’s a good idea to provide your child with money for a taxi just in case.
- Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home, should he need one during the evening.
- If you’re worried about your teen driving, consider alternate transportation. A car service or limousine will provide a responsible, experienced adult driver. You also will be able to limit changes to the itinerary and contact the driver.
Prom and graduation are special times in your family’s life. Enforcing safe-driving rules and keeping an open dialogue will go a long way toward making sure your young adult is around to enjoy the other milestones ahead.
Safeco Insurance Teen Safety Rewards™
Safeco Insurance Teen Safety Rewards can provide you a collection of tools, benefits and discounts to help your teen become a safer driver — as well as manage the cost of adding them to your policy. There are several discounts available, including the Good Student Discount, Driver Training Discount and more. Call General Southwest at 480-990-1900 for more information.